Social graces and I

Singaporeans are known to be obnoxious. I do not deny that. More often than not, I have to barge my way through the crowd after MRT doors open; most of the time they act like I AM the one at fault. Singaporeans like to have SUPER loud ringtones, apparently their skin is too thick to feel the hp vibrate; they like to talk loudly on the phone too. Singaporeans just about have the worst social grace around. If they have any grace at all that is.

Mainland Chinese. More obnoxious than Singaporeans. I witnessed it first hand when I was flying back from Bangkok from a shopping trip. Them buggers thought canned drinks inflight were free and ordered some. Well, as most ppl with half a brain know, drinks ain't free, especially NOT ON A BUDGET AIRLINE. So they made a huge hooha about being charged for the drinks and all. and argued with the airplane WAITRESS (due to certain events, i'm beginning to dislike the proper term for glorified flying waitresses. I'm sorry if it offends anyone, but hey, just let me have my way for this post ok?) In the end some nice guy intervened and tried to calm them down. I din know Coke and Sprite could make people shout at the top of their voices. The whole group was whispering (apart from the shouting buggers) as if it was a conspiracy to charge Mainland Chinese 50baht for a can drink. So the whole episode went on for almost an hour. Definitely obnoxious. I'm being stereotypical? Perhaps I am, but I have had pretty bad experiences with them. But most of Chinese Chinese I interact with are generally nice ppl. So there are lotsa nice Chinese Chinese. Just dun put them on a plane with me.
Could do with a little Japanese manners. If they truly are as courteous as what the TV makes them out to be.

I wish there will be....
  • No audible farts. Especially when the culprit thinks it's funny. Especially when it sounds wet.
  • No boorish loud talking. Not everyone needs to know how your dog humped your leg.
  • No spitting. At least do it discreetly.
  • No disgusting acts like nose picking in public. Nor spreading your dead cells around by cutting fingernails in public. Or public blowing of mucus onto places other than the handkerchief or tissue paper. Luckily voodoo is not widely practised in Singapore. i bet no one does the above in Thailand. Apparently whatever body fluids or parts like nails and hair can be used in black sorcery to cast all kinds of spells. No wonder the Thai people are mostly nice, meek and courteous. Maybe they just dunwanna risk being cursed by someone. Well at least that's what the Thai horror shows suggest. Imagine being cursed just becuase someone went around picking up your snot. Gross.
  • No littering (I'm guilty of littering sometimes too. I ought to be reeducated.)
  • Flush the loo after you use it. PLEASE. Undergraduates, both in my hostel and school, do not seem to know how to poo properly. Sometimes i see shit all over the cubicle, but not in the damn toilet bowl itself. By all over the cubile, i mean ALL OVER THE MISERABLE BLOODY CUBICLE. It's like a bloody shitbomb exploded. How i wish i can publicly shame the culprits.

I guess i'm too uptight about manners. Makes me very very irritable when i see the acts being commited. Personally, I do try my best not to commit any of those acts. Hard as I might try, it just takes one person to commit one disgusting act and it'll ruin that moment for me. Dun wanna act too uppity and tell the culprits off, but sometimes i really cannot take it. Sigh. I guess i sound like a farmer trying to act like a prince. But really, it gets on my nerves sometimes. You just need to spend a little effort to make sure that people around you are not adversely affected by your acts. Guess it'll be a very long time before the average Singaporean could be socially graceful. VERY VERY long time.

If I could rule for a day, I'll make sure I send all the bloody culprits for re-education. And print their bloody mugs on the dailies, with details on their specific crimes. After that, then will i do really cool stuff like giving money to the people and take it back tenfold through various means. Or print serial numbers on poll slips and expecting people to believe polling is secret. But that's another blog for another day.

0 comments:


 

Blogger Template | Created by Adam Every