Shred guitarist?

Am listening to all the acoustic stuff on my iTunes library. Something struck me (not lightning though the sky's rumbling outside now, lizard shit would be more probable) while I was listening to X Japan's version of Moonlight Sonata.

Yeah i play the guitar. I've got a kickass axe. I've got a great acoustic (not mine actually), and I've got an electric bass sitting around in my room. But i think i play less than 3hrs a week. As compared to when i first picked up the guitar, this is ridiculous. When i first learned guitar (on my own), i learnt new songs almost everyday. I was amazed at my learning rate (back then la). I've been stagnant since I went to the military, and then i went to university. True, I played in the hostel band, but i played bass and din really get to improve my guitar playing with all the activities and schoolwork. The band was cool and we played quite a few events in school, but the guys were graduating so we had to disband.

With the kinda music i listen to, some people think i'm too ambitious. Technically demanding they said. Dream Theater's John Petrucci, Steve Vai , Joe Satriani, Greg Howe, Paul Gilbert... Those buggers played 20 hrs a day for 20 years to achieve their current standards. And I can't even shred nicely. I dun even dedicate enough time to learn.

I took lessons from a teacher before. he plays in church and teaches guys from other churches. He plays kickass instrumental jazz and was shredding a Malmsteen riff on a cheapo classical. I was supposed to learn and join my church worship team. As i was learning from him, I realised there's only so much he can teach me, i need to learn a whole lot more on my own to fully capitalise on what he taught me. He taught me the basic stuff (which i did not learn when i was self-taught) and i put in the effort to practise all he taught me. The very last lesson, he gave me a set of picking exercises and told me, "I think you'd benefit if I gave you this." Picking exercises for improving speed and finger dexterity. He knows I'm inclined towards shred! In the end, I still did not join my church team, cos i deem myself unworthy still (skillwise) to join them and worship God. (i'm very sorry Victor and everyone else in the team.)

I wish I had a direction, to have a stronger sense of desire to master the instrument. I guess when i plateau-ed at my current skill level, i got bored. And I dun have 20hrs a day to practise. Exams are coming. after the exams, can i improve my guitar playing while working out, attend intersemester classes, complete my final year project and still spend time with my gf, family and friends?

Someone add 20 more hrs to my current 24hrs a day pls.
p/s: to those who ask or are thinking of asking, i'm using a JEM555BK and Korg Toneworks AX1000G. Too poor to get analog stompboxes. The acoustic is a Fender with no electronics. The bass is my fren's. Looking after it till he forgets about it haha.

0 comments:


 

Blogger Template | Created by Adam Every