I am the proud owner of all of Dan Brown books. Just because I love conspiracy theories. Started with Sidney Sheldon's book on some alien shit being covered up by the US gahmen. I remember being chided in sec sch's silent reading period in front of the whole school, for bringing a Sidney Sheldon book to read. Said those books were not suitable for young impressionable kids. So the girls can read Mills And Boons and guys can't read Sidney Sheldon? And the book was not even slightly erotic. it was about ALIENS AND THE US GAHMEN. Idiots.
Back to Dan Brown. As i read his other books, I realised I overrated him. Da Vinci Code was sort of good, cos he has the balls to write sensitive stuff. Being me, I treat it as pure fiction. In fact the book inspired me to read up more on Bible topics. So together with CONSPIRACY theories and puzzles (i love puzzles, and of cos sudoku), it formed an attractive read for me. The rest of his books.... predictable. Same stuff, different titles. Not same as in same stories, but same style, same plots and the villains can be picked out roughly 40% into the book. Boo.
The movie... sucked. Robert Langdon was supposed to be ATTRACTIVE AND SMART. Tom Hanks is not goodlooking. Nor does he look smart. After all, he is best remembered for playing the world's most famous retard, Forrest Gump. With all due respect, he IS a good actor. But.... he doesn't look the part la. Audrey Toutau played Sophie Neveu pretty ok, but she lacked the spunk as portrayed in the book. Teabing.... McKellen plays him ok i guess. Not irritating enough. irritating as in the BRITISH irritating irritating. Irritating as in dry brit humour. Storywise... they made the puzzles look too easy. They changed the ending slightly. Jean Reno wasted his time playing Fache. He could fill out a meatier role, like wat he did in Onimusha 3 the PS2 game ahaha. But to sidetrack a bit, try and find Wasabi, a french movie with Reno as the lead and the Japanese woman who played the grand-daughter of the innkeeper in the oldschool jap drama Beach Boys. It's a refreshing collaboration. Funny and pretty heartwarming.
So now my fav writer is of cos not Dan Brown, but Neil Gaiman. He weaves wonderful stories about the weirdest shit around. I've got the complete set of the Sandman (expensive but worth it) and all his non-graphic novels. As in no pictures novels. As in words only novels. As in many pages of words kinda novels. Forgive my crappiness. I'm staying up till 7.50am to wake GF up. I have an hr more to go.
just in case you were wondering, i'm not loaning out my graphic novels. Books maybe if u smile and ask nicely. I have many things that i lent out and they never return. partly my fault cos i usually forget till i need those items. but mostly them buggers' fault. in the case that i have something with me that's yours, pls let me know, because as you probably may know, I have bad memory.
used to read a lot of Stephen King. I find his stuff really good, but a tad too draggy. bloody Gunslinger is millions of pages long if you combine all the books together. That's also why I dun read Harry Potter and the Lord Of The Rings. So many names so many events. It doesn't help when the names are weird and difficult to pronouce. I prefer an Anthony Peters over a Fa'ur Akroq anyday. i remember names better when i can pronounce them man.
James Patterson is pretty good too. GF loves the Alex Cross books. You may remember the movie Kiss The Girls, with Morgan Freeman playing the lead. I have no idea why Hollywood movies cannot cast correctly for book adaptations. Alex Cross is supposed to be an ATTRACTIVE AND SMART cop. Morgan Freeman looks smart, but he looks much much much too old to be Alex Cross man. At least it's better than the Robert Langdon/Tom Hanks match. anyway, the best stuff coming from James Patterson is the Alex Cross series. At least to GF and I. Psychological games kinda stuff.
I'm sure there are good writers out there whose books i haven't read. pls recommend some to me. No ghostly tales please. Boring. No courtroom drama pls. Boring.
45 mins more to go. aarrggh.
Back to Dan Brown. As i read his other books, I realised I overrated him. Da Vinci Code was sort of good, cos he has the balls to write sensitive stuff. Being me, I treat it as pure fiction. In fact the book inspired me to read up more on Bible topics. So together with CONSPIRACY theories and puzzles (i love puzzles, and of cos sudoku), it formed an attractive read for me. The rest of his books.... predictable. Same stuff, different titles. Not same as in same stories, but same style, same plots and the villains can be picked out roughly 40% into the book. Boo.
The movie... sucked. Robert Langdon was supposed to be ATTRACTIVE AND SMART. Tom Hanks is not goodlooking. Nor does he look smart. After all, he is best remembered for playing the world's most famous retard, Forrest Gump. With all due respect, he IS a good actor. But.... he doesn't look the part la. Audrey Toutau played Sophie Neveu pretty ok, but she lacked the spunk as portrayed in the book. Teabing.... McKellen plays him ok i guess. Not irritating enough. irritating as in the BRITISH irritating irritating. Irritating as in dry brit humour. Storywise... they made the puzzles look too easy. They changed the ending slightly. Jean Reno wasted his time playing Fache. He could fill out a meatier role, like wat he did in Onimusha 3 the PS2 game ahaha. But to sidetrack a bit, try and find Wasabi, a french movie with Reno as the lead and the Japanese woman who played the grand-daughter of the innkeeper in the oldschool jap drama Beach Boys. It's a refreshing collaboration. Funny and pretty heartwarming.
So now my fav writer is of cos not Dan Brown, but Neil Gaiman. He weaves wonderful stories about the weirdest shit around. I've got the complete set of the Sandman (expensive but worth it) and all his non-graphic novels. As in no pictures novels. As in words only novels. As in many pages of words kinda novels. Forgive my crappiness. I'm staying up till 7.50am to wake GF up. I have an hr more to go.
just in case you were wondering, i'm not loaning out my graphic novels. Books maybe if u smile and ask nicely. I have many things that i lent out and they never return. partly my fault cos i usually forget till i need those items. but mostly them buggers' fault. in the case that i have something with me that's yours, pls let me know, because as you probably may know, I have bad memory.
used to read a lot of Stephen King. I find his stuff really good, but a tad too draggy. bloody Gunslinger is millions of pages long if you combine all the books together. That's also why I dun read Harry Potter and the Lord Of The Rings. So many names so many events. It doesn't help when the names are weird and difficult to pronouce. I prefer an Anthony Peters over a Fa'ur Akroq anyday. i remember names better when i can pronounce them man.
James Patterson is pretty good too. GF loves the Alex Cross books. You may remember the movie Kiss The Girls, with Morgan Freeman playing the lead. I have no idea why Hollywood movies cannot cast correctly for book adaptations. Alex Cross is supposed to be an ATTRACTIVE AND SMART cop. Morgan Freeman looks smart, but he looks much much much too old to be Alex Cross man. At least it's better than the Robert Langdon/Tom Hanks match. anyway, the best stuff coming from James Patterson is the Alex Cross series. At least to GF and I. Psychological games kinda stuff.
I'm sure there are good writers out there whose books i haven't read. pls recommend some to me. No ghostly tales please. Boring. No courtroom drama pls. Boring.
45 mins more to go. aarrggh.
0 comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)